May 21, 2023
The year was 2010 when the Asian Festival promoted an exhibition of dragon boat racing on the Scioto Mile River in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The non-profit, arts-and-culture organization recruited two paddling teams and choreographed the event, and thus was born the city’s first Dragon Boat Race.
From these modest beginnings, the Dragon Boat Race has grown to include more than twenty contending crews, with a generous wellspring of support coming from our non-profit partners, corporate sponsors, the city of Columbus, and dozens of volunteers.
Every year since then, Asian Festival hosts this exciting water sport, part of its collection of celebrations that foster a better understanding of Asian culture and promote cross-cultural exchange. These events include the Asian Games and the main Festival at Franklin Park.
Open to the public and free of charge, these celebrations fall within May, highlighting the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month and bringing greater visibility to the Asian-American communities in Central Ohio.
Race Day Schedule
|6:30 AM||Gates Open and Team/organizer’s set up|
|7:00 AM||Registration begins/team members arrive|
|7:45 AM||Captain's meeting with GWN|
|8:10 AM||Teams Assemble for first Race|
|8:30 AM||Horn Blows signaling start of race|
|12:20 PM||40 Minute lunch break and end of trials|
|1:00 PM||Racing Resumes and semi-final races begin|
|4:00 PM||Championship Race|
|4:30 PM||Awards and Closing|
|5:00 PM||Roads open and clean-up begins|
- Waivers and team rosters must be submitted to Josie Blevins by the time of your practice.
- If you have a new member, we may have a few extra copies for them to sign and add to the team roster.
- Teams will receive wristbands during Sunday morning check-in for team members.
Safety Procedures and Cancellation Policy
All safety procedures and cancellation policy can be found at https://asianfestivaldragonboat.org/
- Marine police will be present
- Cancellation policy includes a phone tree in which I will call and e-mail each team. If you do not have an updated contact info or team roster, please submit by your practice so that we know who to get in touch with
- In the event of inclement weather, team captains will be called to the official's tent to confer .
- Please see Tony and Sally’s updated emergency preparedness plan and incident reporting form.
- Please have all waivers and team rosters for us before the practice or event.
What to Bring
- Chairs for your family/friends
- Lunch/Cater (Food Trucks will be available too)
What food options will there be?
- You may bring your pets
What to wear
- Bathing suit/Summer Gear, old tennis shoes, water shoes-you will get splashed by the water. Do not wear jeans or clothes you would not work out in. No flip flops.
- All other equipment will be provided
Want to see the practice schedule?
Want To Compete?
The Columbus Asian Festival welcomes all to compete at our annual Dragon Boat Race. Whether you are interested in forming a team for your workplace, your organization, your school, or you are looking to get your buddies together to race on the Scioto River, and the process is simple.
The DBR Committee is dedicated to making your experience at our event the best possible. We wholeheartedly welcome your participation for the goodwill and the stronger community it fosters. We are committed to working with each team individually to accommodate your needs and make your dragon boating experience fun and enjoyable.
That’s our pledge to you!